Re: ISS ham radio setup

At 11:05 AM 8/7/2002 -0500, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:
>Ed Cole wrote, about the ISS ham station:
>
>I'm very sure they know
>where they are!  First they are continually being handed over from one
>ground station to another...and maybe they have a copy of NOVA...;-)
>
>Wayne replies:
>
>The pictures I have seen show the handheld radio attached to a wall with
Velcro, and the operator wearing a Telex headset.  It's not at a desktop or
console of any kind.  It doesn't appear to be close to other communications
or computing equipment.

>It would be interesting to know if the ISS hams use any computer tracking
software or not.  I presume they do somehow find out where they are before
operating.  Perhaps via hearing ground station communication on a different
radio, or by checking a computer tracking screen elsewhere on the ISS.
Surely they wouldn't bother calling CQ when the footprint is over the ocean
or an unpopulated region.

>Vince's messages about Valery calling CQ with no reply has definitely got
me interested in trying to make another ISS contact...

>Wayne Estes W9AE
>Mundelein, IL, USA

Mark Johns point about TDRS is well made, but I have watched them for
several continuous orbits on NASA-TV and see them frequently go out of
communications range (loss of video-feed and audio), so wonder if the
Russian ground ops has access thru TDRS...not that it really matters.

I recall Mike Owen (NLSA) stating that he had sold NASA several copies of
NOVA, so it would not surprize me that the ISS laptop has it. But the earth
moves pretty fast under ISS (relatively) so one could easily lose sight of
where they were.

Someday I would enjoy a contact with ISS...I sleep during Moscow daytime!

Ed, AL7EB