RE: ISS ham radio setup

Would you mind waiting until I work him?  Please?

73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: Estes Wayne-W10191 [mailto:W10191@motorola.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 11:05 AM
To: al7eb@ptialaska.net; amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] ISS ham radio setup

Ed Cole wrote, about the ISS ham station:

I'm very sure they know
where they are!  First they are continually being handed over from one
ground station to another...and maybe they have a copy of NOVA...;-)

Wayne replies:

The pictures I have seen show the handheld radio attached to a wall with
Velcro, and the operator wearing a Telex headset.  It's not at a desktop or
console of any kind.  It doesn't appear to be close to other communications
or computing equipment.

It would be interesting to know if the ISS hams use any computer tracking
software or not.  I presume they do somehow find out where they are before
operating.  Perhaps via hearing ground station communication on a different
radio, or by checking a computer tracking screen elsewhere on the ISS.
Surely they wouldn't bother calling CQ when the footprint is over the ocean
or an unpopulated region.

Vince's messages about Valery calling CQ with no reply has definitely got me
interested in trying to make another ISS contact...

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA