ISS ham radio setup

Ed Cole wrote, about the ISS ham station:

I'm very sure they know
where they are!  First they are continually being handed over from one
ground station to another...and maybe they have a copy of NOVA...;-)

Wayne replies:

The pictures I have seen show the handheld radio attached to a wall with Velcro, and the operator wearing a Telex headset.  It's not at a desktop or console of any kind.  It doesn't appear to be close to other communications or computing equipment.

It would be interesting to know if the ISS hams use any computer tracking software or not.  I presume they do somehow find out where they are before operating.  Perhaps via hearing ground station communication on a different radio, or by checking a computer tracking screen elsewhere on the ISS. Surely they wouldn't bother calling CQ when the footprint is over the ocean or an unpopulated region.

Vince's messages about Valery calling CQ with no reply has definitely got me interested in trying to make another ISS contact...

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA