Re: ITU regions

Hello,

Valery Korzun said me last week about amateur radio equipment
installation.
Crew has not a window in that module to see where ISS is over.
Valery is using the portable PC to see on a map the exact position of the
Station in real time.
And change to the frequency is necessary all the times ISS is over region 1
or 2 and 3 when Crew is operating voice contact. Packet radio frequencies
are the same worldwide 145.990 up and 145.800 down.

  73 de IK1SLD Claudio

> Wayne replies:
>
> ITU region 1 is Europe, Middle East, Africa, and North Asia.
> ITU region 2 is North and South America, Caribbean, Greenland.
> ITU region 3 is South Asia and Oceania.
>
> A quick search on Google found a nice map on the IARU web site:
> http://www.echelon.ca/iarumsr2/ituregions.html
<http://www.echelon.ca/iarumsr2/ituregions.html>

> My guess is that ISS astronauts have to change channels on the handheld
radio depending on
> What region they are over.  Most likely, they put out a voice call on the
global 145.8 MHz downlink, and then switch between the two uplink channels
until they hear a response.  The radio probably isn't close to a window, and
they couldn't necessarily tell what region they are over even if they were
near a window because of clouds and/or darkness.