Re: ITU regions

At 07:08 PM 8/6/2002 -0500, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:
***snip***
>My guess is that ISS astronauts have to change channels on the handheld
radio depending on
>What region they are over.  Most likely, they put out a voice call on the
global 145.8 MHz downlink, and then switch between the two uplink channels
until they hear a response.  The radio probably isn't close to a window,
and they couldn't necessarily tell what region they are over even if they
were near a window because of clouds and/or darkness.

>Wayne Estes W9AE
>Mundelein, IL, USA

Uh, well I agree with most that you said except, I'm very sure they know
where they are!  First they are continually being handed over from one
ground station to another...and maybe they have a copy of NOVA...;-)

I'm not really familiar with the model Ericson radio they are using, but it
may be able to scan!

Ed, AL7EB
"Houston, this is Alpha...where the heck are we?"  ..."Alpha,
Houston....you're really spaced out!"