Receiving AO-40...

Hello list! I was just wondering what kind of an effect a window screen would
have on a 3' by 2' grill. should I see a big improvement in reception? All
this talk about attenuators has me scratching my head why they would be
needed other than converter protection - I can't seem to hear the beacon
above an S-7 (is that typical?). As far as hearing the xponder noise
floor....what's that???:-) My converter is an AIDC3733 feeding an FT-736.
Thanks...Larry FN41