Re: Carrier on XM or Sirius Satellite

Earlier, I wrote in response to a comment from Pieter - N4IP:

> "3.1415926535897932384626433832795028" wrote:
>
> > I have been looking at the digital carriers from the XM and Sirius
> > satellites. There appears to be a very strong carrier right in the middle of
> > the digital carrier. The frequency is around 2338.744 MHz +/- 5KHz. It
> > sounds like a wobbly carrier. It is extremelly strong using a standard
> > AIDC-3731 converter. The output is around 82.744 SSB. Can someone confirm
> > this signal is actually there and not in my shack? I have too many
> > microwaves in here. If it is there then we can use it to peak antennas etc.
>
> Pieter,
>     Sorry, but I don't think it's XM at least not the satellite.  I pointed
> right at XM-2 and when listening to 60.75 (I still have a 123 MHz IF for 2401),
> I got a very strong signal just like you received.  Only problem is that it does
> not change much when moving the antenna all over the place.  I did however find
> that it went away when I powered off the downconverter.  If it is XM, I'm more
> inclined to believe it's the gound repeaters.  I'm going to have to dig out the
> XM frequencies (I have them around here somewhere).

OK, I was able to find the frequencies for the XM terrestrial repeaters.  One of the
satellites transmits on 2332.5 to 2336.5, and the other on from 2341.0 to 2345.0.
The terrestrial repeaters are in the middle so that makes the signal on 2338.744
(give or take a little) most likely from the terrestrial repeaters.  There are
several in the LA area which explains why I can't get a definite direction on it.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/