From: "Gary "Joe" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>; "Paul Yeager" <w4ski@arrl.net>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] USB rotor interface?

Most of the code is written to the hardware directly.  You can get around
this as well, by using a PCI card to add parallel ports.  If you don't have
any PCI slots it gets tougher.

Writing/building the USB interface is a bigger task.  USB requires the
device on each end of the wire to have some smarts.  There are not a lot of
"experimenter's" kits for USB.  There are chip sets that may be adaptable to
rotor control, but it would take some adapting.  For example: the chip sets
for USB mice are very cheap, and are set up to provide the position
Vertical/Elevation and Horizontal/Azimuth to the computer (The mouse uses
encoders we use potentiometers - a detail) so far so good, but traffic the
other way is stickier, usually the computer doesn't click or move your
mouse.

If you actually want to register your USB/Rotor interface, so you can plug
it in and have it take off like regular USB devices there is a licensing fee
involved.

The USB/Rotor interface has been on my list for a long time, but it resides
on that "get around to it" portion of my list, so it will probably stay on
the list a long while.  FODTrack using a PCI card for the parallel interface
has worked too well.

My Thoughts, 73,
Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org