Colloquium Report

Report on the Amsat-UK Colloquium, 26 to 28 July 2002.

Over 90 delegates attended from 16 countries and four continents; numbers
have increased again. This may be because amateur radio, as a hobby, is
attracting more people; there have been over 2000 new amateurs (plus 1000
upgrades) in the UK since January, and 500 of them were under 21. About
20 people said this was their first Colloquium (about the same as last
year ... hmmmm).

Our Beginners' sessions were well-attended too; it looked like we had a
few more than last year - about 25 in each session; G7HIA, W2RS, and W3IWI
all had audiences. And the Beginners' live demonstrations on UO-14 proved
to be popular again; thanks to W2RS and G7HIA for doing them - contacts
across the Atlantic were made with the hand-held equipment. QSL via G7HIA.

I thought this year's event was about as good as last year's but other
people told me they thought it was better. Certainly it was up to the high
standard we set here in Amsat-UK anyway.

We have competitions at the Colloquium; this year we had the usual Quiz
plus the "Smallest AO-40 Station" and "Best Speakers" awards.

The quiz was won by Pieter PA3FWM with 29 correct answers out of a possible
40. Paul, VP9MU, will be putting this year's questions onto amsat-bb soon.

There were two categories for the AO-40 award: one for the best station
demonstrated "live" and one for other submissions. Well, the best AO-40
times were in the middle of the night and no-one wanted to get out of bed
so that half was not possible. The winner in the "non-attending" class was
PE1RAH; take a look at his (and other) submissions at:
<http://www.uk.amsat.org/small_AO-40.htm>

The Best Speaker prize was awarded to Craig Underwood, G1WTW; Craig is on
the staff at Surrey and has been talking to Colloquia for many years. He
always puts his presentations across in a way that everyone can understand.

The Best New Speakers award went to Mike Tyrrell, G6GAK, and Phil Masding
for their presentation about space photography; fascinating images backed
up by many neat software accessories.

This year the G3AAJ Trophy was awarded to Fred and Jenny Southwell, G6ZRU
and G1LIT, in recognition of the hard work they put in to Amsat-UK for many
years. Amsat-UK would not have survived without their labours; we wish
them a well-earned rest.

Microwave equipment and antenna measurements were introduced last year;
they turned out to be so popular that we repeated them again this year
and they will probably feature in all future Colloquia. Thanks to Sam,
G4DDK, and David, G0MRF, for their labours.

Measurements were, this year, limited to antenna gain and matching on
1269MHz and 2400MHz. After providing noise figure measurements for the
last 5 years it was decided that the noticeable drop in the number of
converters and preamps being presented for measurement would warrant
missing out one year.

Antenna gain measurements were made with reference to a Polarad CA-L
standard gain horn antenna, supplied courtesy of the Martlesham Radio
Society (G4MRS). In all over 30 measurements were made on the University
of Surrey sports field where the antenna test range was set up. The vast
majority of measurements were made on 2.4GHz antennas including dishes
with helix and patch feeds. The other common antenna type was the multiturn
helix. On 1.2GHz just four antennas were measured. It is to be hoped that
more antennas for this band will appear next year as the range appeared to
work well in this frequency band and some interesting lessons were learnt.

A few spot frequency matching measurements were made using the sources from
the antenna range and a high directivity Narda coupler. A deeper report
containing results of the various measurements will appear in Oscar News.

The Colloquium wouldn't be the same without practical activities:
Command station and UoS clean-room visits were, as usual well supported.
The barbecue took place in balmy weather out on the grass beside the lake.
We were joined here by a swan with babies; they enjoyed the UoS bread as
much as we did. Another activity which is becoming a "regular" is live
firing demonstrations of UoS propulsion systems. We weren't disappointed
this year; very noisy.

News
In "The Old Days" we used to get lots of real news at the Colloquium but
this has declined over the years.

Bdale, KB0G, made the following points in his talk about RUDAK on AO-40:
There are no plans to use RUDAK as an fm repeater (as happened on AO-21).
The 9k6 hardware system is about 10dB less sensitive than expected
If the current DSP tests are successful, there could be a  return of the
    'ZRO tests (weak signal reception) on AO-40

AO40 goes far enough out in space to pass through the earth's magnetic
bow-shock sometimes (CEDEX talk by G1WTW)

Work has resumed, with some success, on the Israeli GO-32 spacecraft with
a view to putting it into amateur BBS service. The Technion Institute
decided to hire a radio ham to help them promote the Techsat's BBS issue,
and fulfill their promises to the Amateur Radio community ASAP.

Their first goal is to finish debugging the BBS code and load a stable
BBS server to the spacecraft. At the moment they're experimenting with an
alpha version in the labs and upload these versions to the spacecraft
just to let the users "play" with GO-32 . It is not an official version
and there is no "alpha group" of testers so they do not want bug reports.

Tidhar Teucher, 4Z5CA, is the man doing the work with assistance from
Peleg 4X1GP,Ofer 4X6OJ, Shlomo 4X1AS, and Assi 4X1KX. He has updated the
IARC's Techsat page, <http://www.iarc.org/techsat>, and will do his best
to keep everyone informed about changes and progress in TechSat's status.

Has anyone heard about the Amsat-ZL project ? I hadn't until last week.
Check out KiwiSat at <http://www.amsat-zl.org.nz>

Amsat-UK Annual meeting: new member Howard, G6LVB, joined the rest of the
committee who were re-elected en-bloc. Full minutes will be published
soon in Oscar News.

The (unconfirmed) date of next year's event is 25 to 27 July 2003; put
it in your diary NOW.

The Proceedings document will be made available within a week or two both
in electronic and paper formats. We will make an announcement on amsat-bb
when it becomes available.

Images from the event are currently being uploaded to:
<http://www.uk.amsat.org/colloquium/colpix02.htm> I am interested in any
pictures any other delegates took as well (I had an accident with my
camera, losing some out-of-doors photos). Anyone with images to share
should contact me BEFORE sending them.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org