Re: Dielectric Loading of Helical Antennas

Very interesting Dan

Which prompts me to recall that there may be a possibility ( at least in
my case ) that if I have anything touching the helical at the point of
greatest voltage node , it may kill the forward wave considerably .
My reasoning  behind this , with your help Dan,  is the fact that long
ago I recognized that if one took a sharp lead pencil and touched the
helical wire very near the phase center ( ~ one turn from the reflector )
it would kill the antenna action .    Anywhere else along the length of
the coil , the pencil has little effect.       This is similar to
touching the tip of a vertical antenna and how it will kill the vertical
antenna action .
Your Swiss cheese notion will be a good way to test in my case.

Thanks Dan

Joe K0VTY