Re: AO-40 at perigee

At 09:22 PM 8/1/2002 -0400, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
>Bdale's paper mentions MONITOR, but I can find no reference to it
>anywhere else.  What is it?

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/phase3d/monitor.html

It's an HF spectrum analyzer (scanning radiometer). If I'm not mistaken, it
is connected to the HF antenna which remains tucked under the solar panels
until such time as they are deployed.

MONITOR's data connection to RUDAK is via the CAN (controller area network)
bus taken from the automotive industry, which was an interesting design
decision. CAN was never intended for moving bulk data that way. Jeff Ward
at Surrey came up with a specification for using the CAN bus for this sort
of thing, the Controller Area Network Spacecraft Usage Protocol, or
"CAN-SU". As far as I can determine, the CAN-SU spec has never been
published online.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org