Re: RE: DIelectric Loading of Helical Antennas REPLY

I have only used tape helix antennas for all of my AO-40 needs and they work
really well. I have tried them from 3 turns all the way to 78+ turns and
have always gotten good results when the number of turns is less than 20 or
so. Last year when I went to the Air and Space museum I spotted a couple.
One of the tape helix antennas was actually used on the Viking Probe S band
antenna:

http://ozoni.com/n4ip/viking.jpg

Here are some pictures of my own tape helix antennas wound on thin plastic
tubes:

http://www.ozoni.com/n4ip

I will give the fiberglass antenna a try to see how it performs.

73's

Pieter