Re: Question: in a clear sky can you have a lighting strike?

Yes, you absolutely can have a strike come "out of the blue".  I have a very
clear recollection of one such strike that scared the living daylights out
of me.  I was traveling through Wyoming, and had stopped at a roadside
picnic area ... blue sky and a few puffy white cumulous clouds.  FLASHBANG
one of theses strikes hit the ground probably within 1000 feet or so.

Also check out http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg/crh_boltblue.html