PCsat HT Sailboat UPlink test

As a data point for FM Satellite OPS with a 5W HT and 0 dBd gain omni
antenna, we now have had 4 PCsat passes over our test boat with a TH-D7
APRS HT connected to the boats GPS and a RG-174 coax dipole duct-taped to
the inside of the cabin roof.

Success rate on these passes has been on the order of 60 and 75% for every
packet transmitted (when satellite was above about 7 Deg).  We used
once-per-minute for these tests.  But the  design goal of PCsat was for a
2m rate for such off-shore or wilderness travelers.  There were on the
order of a dozen other users at the same time.

Thus for our design goal of one packet every/2min, and say 50 users, we
would still have a good chance of capturing a position/status from our
boat once a pass...  (the http://pcsat.aprs.org site does not yet capture
all of them, due to not enough IGates listening, but if we monitor the
donwlink directly, we can get most of them...)...

I wish I could take more data, but I am leaving in 1 hour for the RAC
convention in Vernon, BC, so won't be in the same footprint as the boat
test (W3ADO-8).  We hope to leave the test running for the next 3 weeks as
the boat cruises the Atlantic..

The Radio Amateurs Convention in Vernon BC, has an IGate, so if you get
bored this weekend you can zooom in to Vernon on any of the APRS
web-pages and watch the goings on...  Vernon is about 5036N, 11915W

de WB4APR, Bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob