Re: Re: Pro FM birds! ~ C.B., Etc.

I prefer to think that the reason "they" don't do it on
SSB/CW on satellites is that in order to work those
modes requires some commitment. An AO-40 class
groundstation requires some investment in equipment and
antennas as well as in time and effort to get it all
working.

And someone who has gone to the trouble and expense of
setting up a decent AO-40 class station is much less
likely (IMHO) to cause deliberate interference than some
LID who happens to own a dual band handheld and thinks
jamming a satellite is a sport.

We should all recognize though, that despite having a
flying, single channel, FM repeater that blankets 1/3 or
more of North America at a time, the system works
remarkably well.

Enjoyable contacts are made on nearly every pass and
operators are obtaining WAS, VUCC, etc. despite the
limitations and I think that is a tremendous testimony
to the tenacity and operational prowess of those who
enjoy the FM birds.

We also shouldn't forget that from the time that AO-13
flamed out in 1996 to the time that AO-40 became
operational (2001) was a long, long time. For many
operators, the FM sats were the only game in town and it
might very well be, that without their dedication to
this segment of the service, the satellite world might
have declined to an unrecoverable point

The FM birds have never been my cup of tea and it's easy
to set back and point out the faults of such a wide
area, single channel FM repeater, but my hat is off to
those ops who have kept the candle burning through their
efforts!

73, Jeff KE9V