Squint not always true

I checked on my tracking program and found to have on july 18 an ao-40 pass but with a squint of 40 at
my available time. I discard this pass due to the poor squint angle.

I finally end up in the shack to check it anyway and big suprised MB was at his max without fading and
worked a dozen of stations from europe and south america...

What i beleived as per my tracking program ao-40 was at that time over the upper tip of south america and
if i remember correctly squint angle is always given in reference to a point center to the earth face. On the
18 this point over south america tip (north) should report an 40 degrees off on this point and i'm at 46
degrees of latitude north is this can explain the excellent signal i got? Satellite was pointing only 6
degrees off to my position?

this suggest me one question here if the above mentionned theory are correct

1- My tracking program give the exact azimuth and elevation i should consider squint also valid but how
can i determine the exact attitude: it is pointing 40 degrees off to the  north south east or west from this
center earth reference point?

Are we missing a lot of good pass that is the final question? I know it was an overnight pass here in north
america and i heard only one station from US was he there like me or he was using a better tracking
program?

Thank's for the inputs
Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec