Re: "I hope nobody screws with it"

Joe:

"I think it would be safe to say that degradation is the least likely
method of satellite failure.  There are still many components that can fail
taking the bird back off the air."

I do not remember you as being around when this was all put together back
in the early 1970's however  please give us the benefit of what are the
priority lists for the failure modes most likely for AO-7.  Remember of
course that AO-7 has had 20+ years to get over the infant mortality for the
components and the battery is already gone.  The much of the 4000 series
logic has survived, but Joe tell us the other methods of satellite failure
you expect and why those components should be expected to fail and when
they might be expected to fail?

"The "consuming our precious frequencies" is definitely an overrated
argument. Holding space on our unused frequencies is probably a better
statement. No one knows when it came back on. It may have been on for a
week, a month, or more before anyone even noticed. It is not like it pushed
some other active bird out of the way."

fine, your opinion.

"In general I support the idea regaining control if possible, but the idea
the satellite is useless or even a menace without control is not very
sound. AO-10 has been without control for many years, but I would argue it
has been the most successful of all the amateur communications satellites.
It has provided more transponder/communications time for amateur use than
any other satellite by far! I believe it would be safe to say it has
provided for the most contacts as well."

again, fine, your opinion.  I just wonder of course if AO-10 is still doing
its derelict thing in 10 years, 25 years, 50 years, or even 100 years if
everyone going down the line will agree with you...  But then time will
tell wont it.....

Larry
VA3LK