company can't seem to find the source of for more than a week. that is
after waiting for three months or more, Hopefully I would be able to
operate  AO-40. What is a good down converter for 2.4??  Maybe I can work
#200 on Sats mostly on AO-13.Ron VE7YC

Wayne replies:

You lost me on the comment "work #200 on Sats mostly on AO-13".  Nobody will make any more contacts on AO-13 since it burned up in 1996.  And in case you didn't know, satellite contacts don't count towards "regular" DXCC awards.

For the best value in a down converter I highly recommend the TranSystem AIDC 3731 which has about 1.1 dB noise figure.  Especially if you can buy it from N4IP for $50. (check the archives for the For Sale message he posted on 30 June).  Supposedly K5GNA sells specially tweaked AIDC 3731 downconverters with a 0.89 dB or less noise figure and a 2m crystal for $115.  Search for K5GNA on Google to find his email address.

I was very pleased with the performance of my AIDC 3731 downconverter during Field Day.  I used it with a 60cm G3RUH dish and patch feed, with no preamp.  I could obviously hear better than many other field day stations.  That can largely be attributed to the excellent performance of the G3RUH patch feed.  But the downconverter is no slouch.  For good reception I strongly recommend using a solid or screened dish with a circular polarized feed (helix or patch).  Linear polarized "BBQ dish" setups give marginal reception in my experience.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA