RE: Re: [ans] ANS-181

At 02:03 PM 7/1/02 -0400, "Tom Clark \(W3IWI\)" <w3iwi@toad.net> wrote:

>To those who ask "Why don't you guys build xxxx?" my answer for a lot of
>years has been "Why aren't you doing it? Are you willing to volunteer to
>take a significant role in making your xxxx happen?"
>

>73 de Tom, W3IWI

  There are some people that know what they want in orbit. There are some
people that know how to build it. There are some people that know were to
find the parts for it, and then there are people like me who will donate to
put it up there.  All these people play a significant role.  We can't have
an Oscar without all of them working together.  Are the designers and
builders willing to do another bird with analog mode B? That's the
question. There is no way I would ever attempt to construct any part of a
satellite, I have no skill. I looked at detailed photos of AO-40 components
and photos of AO-7 that KB5MU put back up.  Those systems, built by hand,
part by part, were so well constructed that you would think a machine was
use to assemble it.  I couldn't do quality work like that and I don't have
the background, But I can donate.
There is a place for FM birds, and I hope we always have a good one in
orbit.  Donating to have another one is going to be tough for me to do
unless something is changed or added to make the bird more exiting.  I'll
feel better once I have Mode S going and can hear ao40 again.  The last
time I heard it was its 10 over 9 signal on 2 meters and I was itching work
DX.