Re: AO-7 10m bcn, switch-on delay

At 02:35 AM 6/29/02 -0700, Paul Williamson wrote:
>At 07:41 AM 6/29/2002 +0000, Richard W L Limebear wrote:
>>  The polar flipover, for want of a better term, could cause
>>very poor sun angles ...
>
>Good point.
>
>If AO-7's magnets work like Microsat magnets, the behavior is a LOT more
>complicated than just flipping over at the poles. The flexible WOD
>capabilities of the Microsats enabled some rather extensive analysis,
>though I'm not certain we ever settled conclusively on a single
>interpretation of the data. Maybe somebody can shed some more light on
>this, so we can compare the Microsat results to the AO-7 observations.
>
>73  -Paul
>kb5mu@amsat.org

Not quite, but close :)

Satellites with this stabilization method do not flip over at the poles,
they rotate 180 degrees in-plane when near the equator.  We know exactly
how this works, the angles predicted by the magnetic model agree exactly
with those observed in AO-16 and the other Microsats.  See my paper
"Microsat Motion Stabilization and Telemetry".  It was in the Journal I
think in 1991 and presented at the Houston AMSAT Symposium I believe that
year.  See www.coloradosatellite.com, bottom left corner link for the full
paper.

In that paper there is a formula the predicts the angle of the Z axis of
the satellite to nadir.  And there is a chart that shows solar panel
current data from AO-16.  These data show clearly which side gets sun at
each point in the orbit.  The AO-16 data are particularly good for this
because there are panels on all sides of that satellite.

Jim