Re: AO-07 Mode A, 28 June, 2345 UTC

 "Wayne Estes W9AE" writes:

> Has anybody compared reception of
> the 10m downlink between horizontal and vertical antennas?

Even though its hf, its still line-of-sight so it depends on the geometry of
satellite latitude and the angles from a groundstation to AO-7. The answer is
to use switchable vertical and horizontal polarizations; I have a 10m ground
plane as well as a horizontal antenna and switching between them *does* make
a difference.

The best 10m downlink antenna I ever heard was a guy with a long chest type
of deep-freezer. He slung a 10m dipole above the freezer to make a 2-ele beam
pointing upwards. 2-elements = nice wide beamwidth.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188