President's Letter - June 2002

Summer is finally here and for those of us who live in the Northern States or
Canada, it did not come any too soon. The reason that I mention summer is
that now I can get outside in good weather and set up a portable AO-40
station for demonstration purposes. Many of the ideas that will go into this
station were obtained at Dayton when I was able to see many ideas and talk to
AMSAT members from around the world. Certainly one of the many strengths of
AMSAT is that it is an international organisation and that we can discuss
many ideas with each other.

Dayton lives up to its billing every year and we had a very good attendance
at the AMSAT booth with many members renewing their membership and others
joining for the first time. One of the highlights, at least for me, was that
several members chose to rejoin AMSAT-NA after being away for a few years.
Another highlight was the AMSAT forum, with standing room only (over 300
attended). The topics were an insight into Oscar-E by Rick Hambly - see your
June /July issue of The Journal for a repeat of this information, Ed Krome
gave an excellent review of how to work Mode S and available equipment, And
Frank Bauer introduced Owen Garriot and Tony England, our first two
Astronauts to work Amateur Radio from Space.
A fantastic Program well orchestrated by Vice President of Field Operations,
Barry Baines WD4ASW and Vice President of Human Spaceflight Programs Frank
Bauer.

I would also like to thank our new "Manager of Dayton Operations"  Ed Collins
N8NUY  for organizing the booth assembly and takedown.    Now we are looking
at some new ideas for next year ideas, which are dependent on finding a new
booth space in a different  location in the Hara arena, more on this later,
if our ideas become practical !

As most of you are aware Russ Tillman K5NRK has stepped down as the Journal
Editor, after 7 years, this is a record for an AMSAT Journal editor. Russ has
introduced many innovations into The Journal and on behalf of you all I thank
Russ for his time, effort and devotion over the seven years.
Dan James  N0DJ our ANS editor has now become the new Journal Editor  and
with the assistance of our assistant editors will produce the July August
issue. JoAnne Maenpaa Wb9JEJ and Harrison Faust WW4HF have volunteered to
become co-editors on a team of 4 who will share the production of ANS.

I am still looking for 2 more co-editors who would like to join this team,
and thereby relieve  Your President and Executive Vice President from this
part of the operations. (we still have plenty to do on you behalf ! )

During the Summer months, work will be continuing on our two satellites,
Oscar-E and Eagle. I understand that our Structural / Thermal engineer, Dick
Jansson is moving ahead in the design of  Eagle and is working closely with
the Vice President of Engineering Stan Wood, our big question here is the
need for propulsion to achieve the right orbit, and how to do it ...... if
necessary. Of course our preference would be not to do it.
73
Robin Haighton VE3FRH
President AMSAT-NA