Re: AO-7 modes

 A Thomas writes:

> Page 119:QUOTE "AMSAT-OSCAR-6 and AMSAT-OSCAR-7 employ linear frequency
> convertors and are consequently suitable for all kinds of modulations and
> modes, e.g. SSB, AM and FM. FM is not to be recommended however because of
> the broad frequency spectrum it calls for".

> Don't flame me but - this suggests that FM is possible (and may or may not
> be recommended)  on AO-7 Mode B. Anybody got any more info here?

FM *is* possible through *any* linear translator. The reason it is not
recommended is that it uses spacecraft power inefficiently; as long as the
PTT is pressed, even during pauses in speech, the spacecraft is relaying
full carrier. Please don't use this mode on linear transponders.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188