Re: AO-7 in Darkness -- Has anyone heard it?

I hear it come on when it comes out of eclipse here in Florida. In the
evening passes, especially the late ones, I am in the footprint before the
sat is in the sun. The beacon seems to come to life very soon after the s/c
is illuminated. Also it is VERY strong before all the stations begin to try
uplinking. Just after AOS on the 2345 pass this evening the beacon was s7
over s1 noise on 2m.

I suspect much of the discussion of signal strengths not only is dependent
on how many users are on, but also if it is in Mode B or Mode C when it
comes on. Also the 435.1 beacon can be very difficult to copy, leading some
to believe it is totally off.

Today I made a QSO with KF1DC with the power knob turned to 0 on my Icom
821...must be less than a few watts. Too many stations are running way too
much power especially on CW from what I hear. I could nearly copy the CW qso
in the FM'ing of the SSB signals.

Has anyone tried to command it yet? I kind of like the idea that if you want
to work it, it behooves you to have both A and B capability!

Drew, KO4MA