Re: Metal vs. Fiberglass Boom

"Tom & Judie Webb" writes:

> but is a nonconductive
> (fiberglass or PVC) REALLY necessary verses a metalic crossboom?

NO.

Purists say it will upset the antenna pattern. Sure, it will, to some extent,
but there is one measure you can take to lessen this. Mount crossed yagis so
that they are not in the same plane as the cross-boom; X style rather than
+ style. My yagis are all mounted in the centre of their booms too, rather
than all forward of the cross-boom and getting balance problems.

My system does this; it works ok. Even heard one of the Mars probes out
beyond the moon with it. I might lose a dB or so but there are other
things we can't change too (foliage, neighbors with shotguns, etc).

This is *amateur* radio; do the best you can and you'll be surprised at how
well stuff works usually.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org