ao7

Heard noisy signal at 2100 24th utc, on 29.502 about the time Satscape
and Assi’s Keps predicted for  ao7. Location is Whakatane N.Z.

Checked Hf Gear later (TS 520 ) freq. Ok. Discovered  tree branch
growing through antennae wire ( Its been a while since  The HF Receiver
was fired up!)
Cleared wire and resurrected an old 10 M preamp, and will listen again
tomorrow. Nothing heard on 2M. Could’nt agree more on the mode B thread,
although I never Made a mode B contact I learned a lot trying, making
transverters, preamps, aerials etc.
A heretical thought, which is sure to have occurred to others…..
If the batteries on amateur space craft fail, why have them? AO 10 seems
to manage , Now perhaps AO7 will manage.
May be a good project sometime, a very simple mode B craft, hard wired
command system etc, solar only power.
I'm definitely not against hi tech, follow the threads from Phil Karn
and others with great interest, and look forward to the next real
complex bird.
Just thought I'd throw a pidgeon amongst the cats.
Cheers,
            Don
            ZL1THO