Re: FD AO-40: You sounded like a newbie if...

Yes, I remember the QSO (you were my third to last Sunday morning).

Funny, but with the used FT-847 in my hands less than a week, and no
experience on it, I found myself by the end of the night operating the rig
exactly as you described...  took a few hours of fumbling to get that point
(when I started, I had the uplink on the sub-band; I would have to A<>B each
time I wanted to switch from LSB to CW...  ugh.), but it's funny how you
come down to the most efficient method. Yes, a 15 min investment in the
manual would have done wonders, but it was a hellish week leading up to FD;
I barely made it as it was.

Thanks again, Art.

I also just realized that my question about the relative strength of the MB
is non-sensical, because my DEM down-converter has an adjustable IF gain
stage...  I could set it to anything I wanted. It really is the MB versus
the background noise, isn't it? I think I was hearing the MB at S7, signals
at S4-5, and noise at S2...  seem reasonable?

Bill
W1PA