Re: FD AO-40: You sounded like a newbie if...

Bill:

I guess we were all guilty as charged, with one sin or
another.

One way I found to not "swish the dots", was to turn off
tracking, key a CW tone on and off (manually -- not dots)
and tune the receiver around until I found my tone. Dots
tended to mess up our AGC making it more difficult to hear
the comeback signal, so we turned the processor off and just
keyed a tone for a second or two. Yes, we ran the risk of
keying up on top of someone, so I usually moved well up the
band to do this.

Once the signal was found, I enabled reverse tracking (we
used an FT-847) and went hunting for signals. Just before
calling someone, I did a quick whistle into the mic and
listened for the pitch of the return signal. By tweaking the
Tx offset knob I could get the whistle and return signal to
match.

Once you have this condition, you can manually do your own
FDT by turning the Tx offset knob 10 Hz at a time every 20
seconds or so, to keep the signal pitch constant. it seemed
to work quite well for us.

We would have had computer control but I ran into a
compatibility problem with my Unitrac box. I couldn't get
the older version of the program to accept an AO-40.SAT
file, and the newer program version wouldn't work with my
older hardware. So we were destined to do things manually.
To help with finding the downlink, I used a slide rule chart
I made up last year. It's easier to print out on a normal
printer. It has the Uplink frequencies down the sides, and
the downlink frequencies on a middle slider. By ofsetting
the slider by the amount of doppler, the downlink can be
determined quite accurately, so we didn't have to look far
for our signal.

As for choppy speech -- yep, it is distracting, especially
when working CW. At first, our CW was so bad it was comical.
I ended up turning the audio gain all the way down while the
other op was sending CW, then I turned it up again to listen
for the exchange.

I heard Leila come on a couple of times while I was just
listening. I haven't figured out what triggered it.

Anyway, as you said, we only learn from our mistakes. Next
year, I'm sure we'll make different ones.

I think we worked you from W3AO. Tnx for the contact and
hope you had as much fun as we did.

73,
Art, N3OY