Re: AO-07

I agree with Hasan.  When AO-7 went up there was only one commercial 70 cm
rig I can recall that was able to work it via SSB.  I can't recall the
brand now but it preceeded AO-7 some years and was never made again.  We
wanted to get on so bad we built transmit and receive converters and used
our HF rigs as tunable IFs for receiving.  This took a bit of doing but if
you wanted to work satellites then there were plenty of kits available to
roll your own such rigs.  Now there are lots of multiband all mode rigs out
there on the second hand market just waiting for another mode B satellite.

All this to say, if you make a good satellite, they will come by the
dozens.  They did on AO-7, AO10, AO-13, etc.  The single frequency FM/FM
satellites have served as a sort of novelty, but they will never hold a
candle to one of these other three satellites.  The most activity I have
seen as a result of the FM/FM voice repeaters is the amount of complaining
on here about not being able to work it because someone else is 3db
stronger.

--
73, Roy -- W0SL

E-Mail: rdwelch@swbell.net