Re: AO-07

>With all this excitement at the unpredicted and unprecedented return of
>AO-7, does it strike anyone other than me, that the proposed new LEO bird
>ought to go back to mode B and minimize this FM stuff?

Yay, Hasan!

THIS FACT has been "striking" me ever since the first FM voice bird was
launched with all the attendant problems of a "two user bird".  I hope we
NEVER launch another one!

I've been preaching this for years, few have obviously listened.

Maybe the interest created by our old friend waking up will somehow get it
drilled into someone!!!

>While people are excited at the novelty of the Lazarus syndrome, I'm betting
>it makes many people's hearts flutter seeing a working Mode B bird again. I
>would love to monetarily contribute to a new Mode B bird, in virtually ANY
>orbit. I'm going to have to be convinced that any new bird without it,  is
>worth the bother.

You'll never convince any "appliance operators"...I think we should all donate
to a huge cell-phone give-a-way, and they can talk to a satellite all day long.

>I think an AO-7 style mode B bird would bring amateurs into the AMSAT
>community like wildfire. Of all the sats I operated over the years,  AO-7 is
>the one I recall most fondly. After AO-7, AO-10 and AO-13 had similar
>effects. Guess what they all had in common: Mode B. I'm willing to bet that
>I'm not the only one who feels this way. (And even though I had many qso's
>on AO-8...I've never been a fan of Mode J...it's largely a pain in the
>rear.)

Yay, again, Hasan!!!.....