AO-7 WOW!

What a blast.  AO-7 was FMing a bit but I had two solid QSOs with VE6EGN
and WB8OTH on AO-7 during the 1544-1606Z pass here just now.  The CW beacon
showed up right on schedule but the AOS was considerably later than the
keps showed.  In fact I had another possible QSO with KO7NS after LOS.  It
was noisy and I'm not sure about the second letter of his call.  So, the
keps may be a showing AO-7 arriving earlier than it really does.

There are some periods of total signal loss but coming back again in less
that 30 seconds.  Sometimes it was necessary to tune around to follow the
other guys for other than normal doppler shifting, so the frequency
stability is not quite as good as before.  Hitting it with a heavy signal
causes FMing to the point of rendering the signals unintelligible.  When
the signals were down in strength, the audio recovery was perfect in most
cases.

As I recall now, the convention is uplink on LSB and downlink on USB.  I
had some confusion on this point early on in the pass and didn't get the
QSO going as soon as I could have.

When the signals were strong they were very strong.

--
73, Roy -- W0SL

E-Mail: rdwelch@swbell.net