RE: Oscar 7

I thought I'd share some comments I sent to Jan and the Board about this
phenomenal news. I point out some potential problems with the authorities
(FCC, ITU) now that this ghost has come back. This was sent before WB8OTH
reported he actually got a signal thru the 432.125-432.175 uplink passband.

73 de Tom, W3IWI

Jan -- I too am blown away. I remember fondly working on AO-7 in Jan King's
basement, and on developing all of the telemetry equations by laborious
(after all, 1974 was pretty much pre-computer!) least-squares analysis of
raw data taken during thermal/vac testing.

Here are a few thoughts that might be of interest, especially for ambulance
chasing legal eagles:

If the Mode-B transponder is in fact ON as indicated by the telemetry that
Pat Gowen sent, and if the uplink rcvr has survived 28 yrs later, then the
uplink is on ~432.15 MHz. Of course, the use of this frequency predates the
WARC '79 allocation of 435-438 MHz by the ITU for the Amateur Satellite
Service (hereinafter denoted "ASS") and puts the uplink in 70cm Weak Signal
"turf" outside the allocated spectrum.

Potential users may not realize that when they are uplinking to a satellite,
they are no longer operating in the Amateur Service but have a different
status operating in the ASS are subject to ASS rules. Therefore uplinking to
AO-7 is possibly illegal since the ASS is not permitted at 432.1 MHz!

Also, since the IARU bandplan has the 432.1 MHz range earmarked as "weak
signal" in all three Regions, then it would appear that users trying to
access the uplink are also immoral!

Tom