Re: Oscar 7

Gosh, I became an AMSAT member in 1974 after having with Project OSCAR
before that.  The two satellites I used then were AO-6 and the newly
launched AO-7, a combination Mode A and Mode B bird.  Hawaii was the best
westernly reach from here in the St. Louis area and looking easterly I
could work Norway, Sweden, Germany and France.  I don't recall Italy but
North Africa was out of range.

I could work Hawaii but, theoretically, anyone east of about Ohio
couldn't.  In spite of that, one night when I was about to go back to a CQ
call from a Hawaiian station, I heard a Florida station calling him.  Since
I already had Hawaii safely tucked away I let the Florida station have the
opportunity and by gosh he worked him.  Must have been a bit of
tropospheric bending at work across the Gulf of Mexico.  Usually on AO-7
the passband was so quiet that you could hear the whine of ground radar
signals.

I have searched and cannot find the transponder passband frequency ranges.
I finally looked in an old 1975 log book where I recorded a 432.15 uplink
and a 145.9 downlink.  I'm sure these are not exact but close enough that I
can play with it a bit.  Next pass is a westernly one in about 37 minutes
here.

--
73, Roy -- W0SL

E-Mail: rdwelch@swbell.net