RE: Re: Re: Notation of Time...

Engineers in the USA need to be fully conversant in both measurement
systems. Mars Climate Orbiter (not Polar Lander) was the victim of a bad
Interface Control Document between Lockheed and JPL as well as poor
management practices (the people who discovered the problem ahead of
time were ignored). There is nothing inherently wrong in using English
measurements as long as it is properly documented.

Metric measurements are slowly creeping into US commerce, we've been
buying soda pop in 2 liter bottles for quite a few years now. On the
other hand, integrated circuit pins are on 0.1 or 0.05 or 0.025 inch
spacing all over the world. The older system will not disappear anytime
soon as long as we have billions of dollars in industrial tooling to
replace.

To make this relevant to space flight, I do wish that magazine and book
editors would learn not to express
rocket thrust in kilograms. The metric unit of force is the Newton.