Re: AO-40 FD Newbies

Jim Jerzycke wrote:

> As another AO-40 'rookie' who will first (I HOPE!) be active on Field
> Day, I'm also looking forward to some guidance from the more sage
> operators.
> Look for K6AA DM03 6A LAX.
> 73, Jim

A hard lesson learned while trying to work AO-10 and FO-20/29 a couple
years ago: KISS, that is Keep it Simple Son.  I went out there with a
 full set of  antennas, polarity switchers, amplifiers, my untested
G5400 B rotor I got used, etc. A massive amount of wiring to set up,
even preplanning things. First year, I found the rotor bearings in the
Az section were rusty, an emergency "rebuild" with axle grease and WD40
saved the day but ruined a good shirt. Next year, same equipment, more
planning, but again connector hell and crosstalk, etc.

This year, I have a short 435 yagi with short feedlines into my 736, no
amplifiers. I plan to use the "Armstrong" method of antenna rotation. I
don't even plan to use the satellite tracking programs in the field. I
have preprinted the listing of satellite positions at 15 minute
intervals for the pass Sunday morning. Amount of hookup needed: Power
supply to outlet, power supply to radio, power injector at back of 2
meter jack ( Actually I might use the Preamp feature and see if it
works), and 2 antenna cables. The antenna rig should fit flat in the
back of my truck, with minimal assembly.