AO-40 on Field Day

Scott Townley wrote:

>Set your TX freq well away
>from the MB, vary RX to find your own D/L, and based on that pair you
>should be able to do the final Doppler correction to get where you wanna
>go.
>Bring a calculator (I can't do that kind of math in my head well, at

Although I realize that those who read this bulletin board are unlikely to
be the source of problems, I'd like to echo Scott's comments.  The passband
is 250 KHz wide.  That's a lot of room!  Please use it all except for ~5
KHz either side of the middle beacon.  Be careful of drifting into the
beacon as the doppler changes.  Use the extreme upper or lower several KHz
of the passband for "finding yourself" by fixing your Tx freq. and varying
your Rx. freq.  Once found, calculate your translation equation and you
should be off and running.  The command team needs to monitor the health of
the spacecraft during this time.  Although we expect the heavy use to
primarily manifest as increases in receiver AGC's, we do need to monitor
battery voltage, S2 temperature, etc.  If the beacon frequency is stepped
on to the point that we cannot ascertain the health of the spacecraft, then
the passbands will have to be turned off, at least temporarily.

To those who are newbies to AO-40, this will be real trial by fire for
you.  The passband will resemble "normal" about as much as Times Square in
New York is normal at 11:59 PM on December 31st.

Thanks and good luck!