Re: Kansas City Tracker Problem...

At 08:39 PM 6/18/02 -0400, N1miw@aol.com wrote:
>Good day all! I've just recently upgraded my computer system and I am now
>having difficulty with the automated tracking. The old PC was a home-built
>100mhz pentium with 48meg of ram,and everything ran fine, albeit sloooowwwww.
>The new PC is a 333mhz Emachine (problem there?) with the same amount of ram.
>When I turn the rotor on (Yaesu G5400b), sometimes I get severe 60hz hum out
>of the relays that control both az and el. I can still control the rotator,
>but it will pass it's desired heading by about 15 - 30 degrees, and then come
>back and MAYBE stop where it's supposed to be, even if I do this via the
>front switches! If I disconnect the control cable, everything is perfect!
>Then on other days, I can control the rotator without a glitch for a few
>hours, and then the problem comes back, starting with a low hum and building
>up until I can't take it any more. I wouldn't think it's inthe controller
>itself - could the KCT be going bad? Could there be a conflict with other
>devices in the PC and the card itself? I also could never have the PC off and
>leave the rotator on without the antennas moving on their own. Hope someone
>can help! Thanks & 73's...   Larry

Hello Larry,
You didn't say what software you are using to control the beast but it
sounds like a common problem which arises from having more than one copy of
the driver program -somewhere- on your computer. I had a similar situation
here when using WiSP and it turned out I had another copy of GSC.exe on the
same HDD and the two were in conflict, fighting each other for control of
the rotor. Perhaps you have a similar problem.
73, Bill...vk3jt
Milawa
Australia