Re: New elevation rotor possability!

>From: "Ray McKnight - WB3ABN" <shortsheep@worldnet.att.net>
>While snooping around I found a new HD rotor system from PRO.SIS.TEL,
>and it happens that they also produce a really neat elevation rotor.  It
>looks like an adaptation on the standard worm gear TVRO dish positioner.
>Judging from the pictures, a few handy Hams might be able to adapt spare
>TVRO motors/worm gears to this design for some really nice EL rotor!  Of
>course, you could just buy the ready made version which is quite costly,
>if $ is no object! Hope this inspires innovation, it sure gave me a few
>ideas!  Here's a link:
>
>http://www.prosistel.net/home-e/default_net.html
>
>73's
>Ray - WB3ABN
>Kingston, WA

Ray,

Actually this is not a new idea as it is a fairly common method for
elevation control used by moon-bounce stations.  My four 21-foot long
x-yagis for 2m-eme are elevated by a TV-actuator arm and a custom-made
elevation axle...not cheap it was custom welded 2-inch sched-80 square
tubing for $495 using pillow-block bearings and a 1.5-inch solid steel bar
(weighs 60#).  The actuator cost only $99 brand new!  You can find them
used for a quarter of that (or even free in some "small-dish" owners yard).
 My first satellite az-el system used an old actuator, a piece of 3/4-inch
plywood, and a heavy-duty hinge for the elevation system (costing a just
few bucks for the hinge...really copied from the Sat. Exp. Handbook).

But what is nice about Prosistel is the control box and indicator...most
satellite controllers show only a relative motion of the arm in linear
readout...not easy to convert to degrees of rotation.  Their azimuth
rotators are very impressive!  Nice to know about this new elevation
system, thanks!

Ed, AL7EB