Re: Re: Re: Notation of Time...

I have to agree with this.  Metric is happening, slowly but surely.  It
flopped in the short term when the idea was first introduced, but more
and more things are going metric on an individual basis and eventually
it will become the dominant system of measurement here.  Just not
overnight, and probably not with a big fanfare.

Now, for the obligatory mention of the original topic .. I prefer 24
hour time myself because there is much less ambiguity, but I know it's
not that popular in the US outside the military.  I also think sometimes
that even 24 hour time has some quirks that could be gotten around by
rethinking the system based on a single unit, whether it's in seconds,
days, or years from a given epoch date -- I lean towards days myself --
but such a system would be impractical to switch to other than on a very
gradual basis, so I settle for 24 hour time and call it a day .. ;-)