Re: Notation of time (a.m., p.m.)

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 08:12:13AM -0400, Don Woodward wrote:
> So are we, that's always been a debate - I've always referred to them as:
>
> 24 h notation   12 h notation
> =============================
> 0000     =     12:00 midnight or just midnight
> 0001     =     12:01 a.m.
> 0100     =      1:00 a.m.
> 1130     =     11:30 a.m.
> 1200     =     12:00 noon or just noon
> 1201     =     12:01 p.m.
> 1230     =     12:30 p.m.
> 1300     =      1:00 p.m.
> 2330     =     11:30 p.m.

The terms are from Latin, <a.m. = ante meridiem, before mid-day), (p.m.
= post meridiem, after mid-day).  I recall learning in school (a long time
ago) that the the correct terminology for noon is actually 12:00 m.,
but nobody seems to use that.

It would make sense for the U.S. to adopt a 24-hour clock like the rest
of the world, but the metric system also makes sense and we seem to do
our best to avoid that also (I haven't heard the "metrify or petrify"
argument in quite a while.)

73,
Bob, N7XY
Bainbridge Island, WA