AO40 bands for FD

I've been wondering about how to count AO40 contacts.

It would seem to me that if both stations change modes such as starting on
L/S and both switch to U/S it would be counted as another band.  If only one
station changed modes then it would not count as a new QSO.  My question
comes about when you start considering L1/S and L2/S.  Is that enough of a
change to count?

Naturally the logging software our club wants to use has no provision for
satellites but that's another issue.

"Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare
their achievements with those of other people."
      -- Nido Qubein