Re: Re: [aprssig] APRS Field Day operation 2002

Jerry,

The intent of the AMSAT rule is the topic. It is interpreted to discourage
more
than one contact, even though multiple efficient contacts could be
accomplished
with one transmission.  It is very clear there would be no other reason for
this
specific statement in the rules. This goes against the spirit of Field Day
in being
more efficient with our communications techniques.

Digital communications is far more efficient than voice on an FM satellite.
More information is passed in a single transmission.

Yes, you can make more than one contact, but then that would be out of line
with the intention of the AMSAT rules that discourages that activity. On the
other
hand, it would be in full compliance with the ARRL Field Day rules. That is
where
the difference comes into the picture. These are the differentiating rules
between
the two organizations that are likely to create a problem for the folks
operating
under either the AMSAT rules or the ARRL rules. If somebody witnesses
another
station making multiple contacts operating under the AMSAT rules and they
are
not successful in their attempts, there is likely to be an issue. This is
the basic
problem created when resources are shared under different rules.

Tim - N8DEU

PS: I dropped the APRSSIG off the distribution since this is not an issue
for that
group.