OSCAR-E question

Hi AMSATs,

I just downloaded the OSCAR-E powerpoint presentations at AMSAT-BB.
It looks all very interresting (only to much digital for me) but I was
wondering how it ever can be recieved on earth.

I could not find the HF output power of the satellite (maybe I overlooked
it) but I guess it will be abt 10W PEP. I think it will be very hard to hear
the satellite in an GTO orbit, at apogeum with these omni-antennas.

We all know the good old Ao10 with 50W PEP and high gain antenna.
SSB works good, but you ver tried FM ? How you think to do that with
OSCAR-E, with lower power and lower-gain antennas, and more wide-band
digital modulations ?

I was also wondering if it will not have overheating problems. In an GTO it
can be long times into sunlight. I don't know if this can give problems. And
what about more radiation problems ?

73 de PE1RAH, William
---