Re: L band Uplink

John,
If you want to have a chat about this, please hurry on down to Gatwick before I leave town :-)  My own L-band experience is fairly light due to time available, but I have tried to pay a lot of attention to who else is running what and how they sound on the bird.  The general rule of thumb I have come to use is, if you want a good SSB signal (of course, much less can be use for optimum conditions or CW/PSK modes), 1 KW ERP for 70 cm and 2 KW ERP for L band (a little more for L2, a little less if you have circular polarization) at the antenna.  I know this sounds like a lot, but ask around to the ops who do really sound good on AO-40 and you can come up with your own figures.  You may want to give Howard a ring, as he has had several different antennas on L-band and is currently using a home brew dish with a helix feed.

Ed,
I'm sorry I could not get to Dayton to hear your talk.  I have heard from several people there it was excellent.  By any chance did you quantify your recommendations in ERP terms?
73,
Jerry, K5OE/G