Re: L band Uplink

> I had no idea that L1 and L2 might be 4.4dB different. Indeed, i was
> trying on L2 with perhaps 15 degrees of squint, so maybe i would not
> hear myself as well as i might have expected.  Others have reported
> making QRP contacts on AO-40, so apparently it's possible, but maybe
> not as easily on L2.  I will be trying tomorrow on L1 with good squint.

Yes, it is possible, especially using CW or PSK31, to work AO-40 on L-Band
with very little power.  I did this months back with a 20 turn helix and
about 6
watts at the antenna; however, checking my notes, the bird was only 21K
miles
away at that time and the squint was 2 degrees.  I could even faintly hear
my
voice on the downlink under those optimal conditions.  Obviously, with an
L-band
uplink limited to those ideal conditions, you won't be using it much; at
least,
not for voice.

Rick
KG6IAL