Re: Re: [aprssig] APRS Field Day operation 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Tim Cunningham wrote:

> AMSAT Field Day rules are restrictive in the area of APRS for PCsat/ISS:
> http://www.amsat.org/amsat/activities/amsatfd.html
>
> "Satellite digipeat QSO's and APRS short-message contacts are worth three
> points each, but must be complete verified two-way exchanges. Remember,
> only one digipeat contact is allowed for the ISS and one for PCSat."

Wow, I had forgotten that.   I guess then since it is impossible to have
a contact and send LESS than one packet, that ONE QSL packet is the
limit.  But since in the APRS AUTO-QSL mode, ONE packet can have up to 8
QSL callsigns in it, then I see no problem with everyone limiting
themselves to ONLY ONE QSL packet, but they can list as many as 8 calls
in their packet if they wish to improve their probabilities of a 2-way.

They can only count ONE QSO, and it only counts if they have both QSL'ed
another call and the other call has QSL'ed them.  But this rule does not
prohibit the number of calls you put in your "SINGLE" authorized packet...
or at least that seems to be in the spirit of the objectives of Field Day.

This way, potentialy 64 stations could have valid two-ways on a single
pass with a  theorietically minimum of only 64 packets on the air.  But
doing it the  conventional CONNECTED way, would take 19,845 successful
packets! Impossible.

DETAILS:

Here is how the AMSAT rules define a verified 2-way exchange as taking 3
packets:

 1. W6NWG de KK5DO 2A STX
 2. KK5DO de W6NWG QSL 5A SDG
 3. W6NWG de KK5DO QSL

But since PCsat and ISS are UI digipeats that do not fit the "CONNECTED"
packet protocol model, here is how I interpret that relative to how we
have been doing space digipeter and FD APRS contacts in the past:

 1. Is yours and other's APRS position reports with ARRL exchange in it
 2. Is your BLN1CQFD bulletin containing the stations you are QSLing
 3. Is HIS BLN1CQFD bulletin with YOUR callsign in it..

These are concise, efficient, verified and verifiable 2-way contacts.
(But you can only count one completed 2-way per bird).

de WB4APR, BOb