Re: [aprssig] APRS Field Day operation 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Harry Burford wrote:

> I'm looking for a short discussion listing procedures and suggested set up
> on how one might use APRS and maximize band width utilization during FD and
> make digital contacts.  I'm sure many stations will at least have an APRS
> station set up for the demonstration station bonus.

APRSdos and APRStk have a built-in QSL mode for FielDay.
See FIELDAY.TXT included in all copies of APRSdos.  It is also posted on:

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/APRS-docs/FIELDDAY.TXT

But anyone may do it manually as well.  Here is the best way to make the
maximum 2-way QSO's with minimum QRM:

1) Set your POSITION Text to your FD report.  (CQ FD, 1A-MD)
   (1A is station type and MD is our ARRL section)
2) Watch for other stations sending same
3) When you have accumulated several, send a single Bulletin

   TO: BLN#1A-MD  MSG: QSL W1ABC,W2XYZ,N3APC,W4XYZ,N5ABC

4) As each new station appears, then ADD them to the SAME Bulletin above
   and delete the previous outgoing packet..

This way you ONLY have one outgoing packet on the air at a time, yet you
are QSLing as many as 8 stations at a time...  Thus for 8 stations
to log 8 completed two way QSO's, you dont need 64 separate APRS
messages on the air at once, but only 8.  One from each of the 8
stations..

WHen you finish the first 8, then bump up the BLN# by 1 and keep
going.  Always kill the old outgoing BLNs to minimize QRM.

You may count as a valid QSO, any station that you have RECEIVED
and QSL'ed that has also then included YOU in his QSL bulletin...

de WB4APR, Bob