L band Uplink

Message text written by John Heath

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice regarding  the L band uplink for AO-40.

Will  12W at the antenna, and a 15dB gain RHCP Helical
give me an adequate signal ?

Would appreciate some guidance before I build it !!

73 john G7HIA<
--------------

Hi, John:
        Funny you should ask; a few weeks ago I asked a similar question
and used the info, along with my own expereince, in a seminar I gave at the
Dayton Hamvention.
        Bottom line is that it will be adequate when conditions are good;
i.e. less than 15 degrees off pointing and (hopefully) at less than apogee.
If you speak CW, it will be a lot better yet. But, unless you have a high
tolerance for weak signals, for armchair SSB ragchewing, it's 3db or so too
light.
        But, as easy as a helix is to build, try it! Except make it about
twice as long.
        Have fun!

73,
Ed K9EK

hummm.... maybe we also need a "Mode L: The Book"??