Re: ARR vs SSB preamps

Hi Karl,
I'm currently using an SP-7000 unit hooked up to an eggbeater.
I can tell you that it makes the difference of hearing or not
hearing at all! When I'm working FO-20/29 or making a terrestrial
contact, if I take it out of line I can barely detect that my received
signal is there, even when using the radio's built in preamp. I put it
back in line, and I'm seeing the S-meter needle move! And this is
with 25 feet of 1/2 inch feedline. Some people claim the noise floor
is worse with the SSB units.. I have used the ARR non-switched
preamps before, mostly in FM repeater environments all with excellent
results. The bottom line: If I had known that ARR had a 160 watt
switched model, I probably would have gone with it rather than the
SSB, only because I have had excellent past experience with ARR..
But I cannot knock the SSB performance. It has worked quite
well for my needs. If it makes an eggbeater work this well, I can
imagine what it does for a yagi installation! The only downside I see
with the SSB unit is that it only supports 100 watts RF switched.
Apparently the ARR will handle 160w. That would make me purchase
the ARR instead.

73,
Steve