Re: ARR vs SSB preamps

>Has anyone used the Advanced Receiver Research 435Mhz preamps?  I see they
>have one that is RF switched up to 160 watts, model MSP432VDG-160.  Of
>course SSB has the SP-7000 with helical filers.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion on which is better??
>
>Thanks in advance & 73 for now.
>
>Karl R. Sandstrom, K5MAN
>Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
>k5man@arrl.net / k5man@amsat.org

Karl,

I have three ARR preamps which have been used for AO-10 and 2m-eme.  They
make a quality product.  Mine are the basic "bare" preamp without the
internal relays present in the 160w unit.  They also make an assy using
external relays good for 1000w (mainly for eme).

You will find many using their preamps.  My impression is that SSB is more
expensive, but if you are in a city subject to intermods then the helical
filters may be of use...I just use a four-pole DCI filter after the 2m
preamp. Filters inserted in front of the preamp will degrade the noise
figure (especially critical for eme)...but if you have IM then it may
overcome desensing and IM noise which is more limiting on performance than NF.

Ed, AL7EB
I have two 144VDG and one 144VDA ARR preamps.